Here are a few things that have happened in the past month... or 3...
• Family update: Krista got a job in Tennessee and a few weeks ago she and Ben made their move down there! Krista is now a teacher at the Tennessee School for the Deaf (I think that is what it's called) in the resource room for middle school students. Keep her in your prayers as she enters into her first year teaching! Also -- Ben is still looking for work. He is hoping to find something building related and has his resume out there. So we're praying for him too!! We miss them a lot, but are so happy that God has lead them there and know that it is going to be a great experience for them!
• In the middle of June, I had the opportunity to go up to Traverse City with some of my favorite ladies! Erin, Mandy, Jess, and I spent about 3 days in Traverse City just to "get away" and have some true girl time. It was TONS of fun... I always have a great time with those girls. And not too long before that, Mandy announced that she was expecting!! So there will be a little Baby Boes joining the world in January and I know we are all THRILLED for them!
• I am continuing to work at ACCESS and love my job. I am fascinated by all that I have learned about the nonprofit sector and am really passionate about the work that ACCESS does and just the amazing amount of collaboration that happens to serve people in Grand Rapids. I love it. There are some staff changes that have directly affected me. One is that we now have a Communications Coordinator that is here 3 (soon to be 4) days a week and she has been able to take a load off my plate in terms of social networking and communications-related things. We also have decided to have our 1st Annual Fundraiser Dinner, which will be April 22, 2010! We are in the beginning stages of planning, but have our location basically set and our speaker/entertainment in the works. I had my annual review at ACCESS last week and it is just so encouraging to be in a place that serves God first. I love it there, and they love having me there. It feels like am amazingly perfect fit for me right now and I am loving learning and challenging myself professionally. Which leads me to my next point...
• I have decided to take next semester off of school... for a number of reasons, but mostly because I just cannot say with 100% certainty that it is where I want to be and where I see my future heading. And it is a LOT of time and money to invest in something that just sounds like a good idea. First of all, if I did continue pursuing my counseling degree, I think I would choose to transfer to Western where I can get my MFT and LPC at the same time... family therapy is what I am most interested in and Spring Arbor is no longer offering that program, unfortunately. Secondly... I just really really like my job... and that is rare!! Who says that? But I really do -- and I love what I am learning about development and I love working in the nonprofit sector. I would like to take my time on school and really see what God might have for me in the nonprofit world. So... after I take my final exam this weekend, I will be taking a semester off to really think and pray about where I'm supposed to be.
• Another interesting transition in our lives is relating to church... Jordan and I chose to leave Keystone Community Church about 1 1/2 years ago and have kind of been church hopping ever since. It is a difficult place to be, but we are seeking God's guidance but desperately want a church home. We were attending one church for a few months last fall, but didn't see much opportunity to grow in worship leading there, and that is an area Jordan and I are passionate about and feel that we need to be connected with in a home church. For this summer, we have been going to church with some of our best buds, Jon and Mandy and Dave and Erin, in Zeeland. It is strange to be back in Zeeland for me and see the faces of many peoples parents that I grew up with! It is definitely a different feel being in a small-town church than some of the larger churches we have visited in Grand Rapids... and like I said, we are currently praying about where we will land. We desperately want to have a home church where we can sink roots down, but I suppose that isn't something that can be easily rushed... but your prayers on that are appreciated also!
• On a more exciting note... Jordan and I celebrated our 3 year anniversary on Wednesday!! WOW - time sure flies!! :-)